I have been quite the slacker (by my usual standards) for blogging over the past few weeks, but my excuse is that I have been working on finishing my book for SimpleTalk Publishing.
Here is the December 2010 version of my SQL Server 2008 Diagnostic Information Queries. I have made quite a few changes to this version compared to previous versions. One thing I did was to add an OPTION (RECOMPILE) query hint to each query to make sure these queries don’t get cached (since I had noticed that a few of them were being cached as ad-hoc queries).
I have also added a blank Excel query results spreadsheet, with labeled tabs that correspond to each query in the script. The idea is that you can run each query, and then right-click on the top left corner of the results grid in SQL Server Management Studio, and select “Copy with Headers”, and then paste the results into the appropriate tab in the spreadsheet. That way you can pretty quickly save the results in a pretty portable format that you can easily send to someone (like me) for interpretation.
The two files are hosted in Dropbox, which seems like a better idea than pasting the script directly into my blog post. Let me know what you think!