SQL Server Diagnostic Information Queries for September 2014

I revised a number of the queries this month in all five versions of the script. I have also added several new queries to the SQL Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014 versions of the script. Here are the current query counts for each version:

SQL Server 2014         72 Queries

SQL Server 2012         69 Queries

SQL Server 2008 R2    65 Queries

SQL Server 2008         59 Queries

SQL Server 2005         51 Queries

Rather than having a separate blog post for each version, I have just put the links for all five major versions in this single post. There are two separate links for each version. The first one on the top left is the actual query script, and the one below on the right is the matching blank results spreadsheet.  

SQL Server 2005 Diagnostic Information Queries

SQL Server 2005 Blank Results

SQL Server 2008 Diagnostic Information Queries

SQL Server 2008 Blank Results

SQL Server 2008 R2 Diagnostic Information Queries

SQL Server 2008 R2 Blank Results

SQL Server 2012 Diagnostic Information Queries

SQL Server 2012 Blank Results

SQL Server 2014 Diagnostic Information Queries

SQL Server 2014 Blank Results

The basic idea is that you should run each query in the set, one at a time (after reading the directions). It is not really a good idea to simply run the entire batch in one shot, especially the first time you run these queries on a particular server, since some of these queries can take some time to run, depending on your workload and hardware.

You need to click on the top left square of the results grid in SSMS to select all of the results, and then right-click and select “Copy with Headers” to copy all of the results, including the column headers to the Windows clipboard. Then you paste the results into the matching tab in the blank results spreadsheet. There are also some comments on how to interpret the results after each query.

About half of the queries are instance specific and about half are database specific, so you will want to make sure you are connected to a database that you are concerned about instead of the master system database. Running the database-specific queries while being connected to the master database is a very common mistake that I see people making.

Note: These queries are stored on Dropbox. I occasionally get reports that the links to the queries and blank results spreadsheets do not work, which is most likely because Dropbox is blocked wherever people are trying to connect.

I also occasionally get reports that some of the queries simply don’t work. This usually turns out to be an issue where people have some of their user databases in 80 compatibility mode, which breaks many DMV queries.

It is also very important that you are running the correct version of the script that matches the major version of SQL Server that you are running. There is an initial query in each script that tries to confirm that you are using the correct version of the script for your version of SQL Server.

If you want to understand how to better run and interpret these queries, you should consider listening to my latest Pluralsight course, which is SQL Server 2014 DMV Diagnostic Queries – Part 1. This course is short and to the point (only 67 minutes), and I think you will enjoy it!

Please let me know what you think of these queries, and whether you have any suggestions for improvements. Thanks!

This entry was posted in Diagnostic Queries, SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to SQL Server Diagnostic Information Queries for September 2014

  1. alzdba says:

    FYI: I just hit the odds :-$

    A couple of the SQL2014 diagnostics queries failing “Divide by zero”.
    — Top Cached SPs By Avg Elapsed Time (SQL Server 2014) (Query 51) (SP Avg Elapsed Time)
    SELECT TOP(25) p.name AS [SP Name], qs.total_elapsed_time/qs.execution_count AS [avg_elapsed_time],
    qs.total_elapsed_time, qs.execution_count, ISNULL(qs.execution_count/DATEDIFF(Minute, qs.cached_time,
    GETDATE()), 0) AS [Calls/Minute], qs.total_worker_time/qs.execution_count AS [AvgWorkerTime],
    qs.total_worker_time AS [TotalWorkerTime], qs.cached_time
    FROM sys.procedures AS p WITH (NOLOCK)
    INNER JOIN sys.dm_exec_procedure_stats AS qs WITH (NOLOCK)
    ON p.[object_id] = qs.[object_id]
    WHERE qs.database_id = DB_ID()
    ORDER BY avg_elapsed_time DESC OPTION (RECOMPILE);

    I know the solution is to wait a minute and execute again.

  2. Pingback: I/O,I/O it’s off to … Bang my head against a wall! | Padre's SQL Resort

  3. Ranga says:

    Thanks for sharing your queries, they are a great source of information.
    A suggestion to number the queries along with the exact name as in the excel tabs so we know which query results go in which tabs.
    –1 Version Info

    –2 SQL Server Install Date

  4. Rafael says:

    Very useful. Thanks!

  5. Tom Schiro says:

    Thanks for the information. Please check SQL Server 2005 Blank Results link.

  6. Bala says:

    Very helpful, thanks for your time…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s